My expertise

I qualified with a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from University College London. I work in the NHS where I specialise in trauma (PTSD & developmental trauma), pain management, sexual functioning and health-related difficulties. As an accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist (CBT), Mindfulness teacher & EMDR practitioner, I work with depression, anxiety, trauma and self-harming behaviours on a regular basis. My approach is to develop a collaborative and therapeutic relationship where you can feel safe to explore your feelings and thoughts. To start with, I would seek to identify what it is that you want to change and improve - from this, I would work with you to agree a tailored therapy programme to suit you and achieve your goals.

I have been trained in a range of evidence-based therapies, which may be thought of as a tool kit that I can draw from, depending on your needs and the available research about what works. For example:

  • Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - accredited with BABCP
  • Compassion Focused Therapy
  • Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
  • Eye Movement & Desensitisation Reprocessing - accredited with EMDR Europe
  • Mentalization-based Therapy (MBT)
  • Mindfulness - trained & accredited by Breathworks

Professional Registration

I am registered with the Health Professions Council as a Clinical Psychologist (as Dr John Newbury-Helps; PYL27058 ) who regulate fitness to practice No-one can call his/herself a Clinical Psychologist without being certified here.

The BABCP (British Association of Cognitive and Behavioural Psychotherapists) is the accrediting body for CBT Therapists. I am registered with them and they ensure I keep up to date with my practice (BABCP: see -

As an accredited Mindfulness Teacher, I am listed on the recognised teacher website and on the Be Mindful site for finding appropriately trained teachers. 

As part of my commitment to quality, I undertake regular training, receive professional supervision and carry out research.Complaints regarding my professional standards or personal conduct can be made to 

Make a free website with Yola